Louisiana Neurosurgery Specialists | Back and Neck Surgery
Meet Louisiana's Leading Neurosurgical Team
Diseases and disorders of the brain, spine, and nervous system often involve serious symptoms and call for complex surgical treatments. If you develop a condition requiring neurosurgery, The NeuroMedical Center’s team of experienced neurosurgeons is ready to help.
We Offer One Of The Largest And Most Experienced Neurosurgeon Teams In The Country
Our team of ten neurosurgeons is one of the largest and most experienced in the nation, offering state-of-the-art care and the latest minimally invasive surgical techniques. Our neurosurgeons work together as one to treat the full range of neurosurgical conditions.
You can turn to our team for experience in everything from the most difficult and demanding surgical procedures, such as complex spinal surgery, to endovascular neurosurgery for brain aneurysms, brain tumors, and cerebrovascular disease.
We Believe In Collaboration To Ensure The Best Possible Outcome For Our Patients
Our neurosurgeons collaborate with specialists in neurology, neuro-oncology, physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R), pain medicine, neuropsychologists, and neuroradiologists to offer an unparalleled level of neurosurgical care.
More Than Just Brain Surgery
Neurological surgeons at The NeuroMedical Center are doctors who specialize in the surgical treatment and management of conditions that affect the brain, spine, and nervous system. Neurosurgeons, while commonly referred to as brain surgeons, also provide the highest level of spine disorder treatment.
People Need Help from Neurosurgeons in Many Situations
Common reasons why people need neurosurgery include:
- Strokes or bleeding on the brain (cerebral aneurysms)
- Benign or cancerous brain and spinal tumors
- Degenerative spinal conditions including herniated discs, sciatica, and stenosis
- Head, neck or spine injuries and trauma
- Seizures, epilepsy and movement disorders such as Parkinson’s disease
- Chronic neck and back pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
Key Ways Our Patients Benefit from Our Unique Structure
There is nothing more important to us than positive patient outcomes. We work tirelessly to find the best possible methods to treat each patient based on their unique situation. As one of our patients you can expect a number of benefits.
- Our collaborative methods mean your case is seen, considered, and evaluated not just by one leading surgeon but by an entire team of neurological experts.
- We believe in the best possible outcome for every patient. That’s why we only recommend surgery if we have exhausted other non-surgical options and believe that surgery is the best path forward.
- By working with leaders in their neurological fields, you can expect lower complication rates, less exposure to radiation, maximum accuracy, reduced lengths of hospital stays, lower rates of post-op opioid need, and a quicker return to your life.
We Have Spine Surgery Expertise
Most spinal conditions including herniated discs, degenerative disc disease, and spinal stenosis, can threaten spinal nerve or spinal cord function potentially causing nerve pain and sciatica, numbness, weakness, and even paralysis of the extremities.
The fact that we are expertly trained to evaluate, manage, and operate on and around the nervous system is exactly why you should seek out the very best neurosurgeon for your spinal condition.
Through the most rigorous neurosurgery residency training, neurosurgeons at The NeuroMedical Center are uniquely qualified to operate on the spine and intervertebral disc structures in order to safely protect, decompress, and repair the spinal nerves and spinal cord.
Spine neurosurgeons are also highly trained in the surgical management of other conditions that involve the spine that cause pain, deformity, or threaten neurological function.
Conditions Best Treated by a Spinal Neurosurgeon
Though there are numerous conditions best treated by a spinal neurosurgeon, three of the most common include:
- Scoliosis: Most often diagnosed in adolescence, scoliosis involves the sideways curvature of the spine. People with cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and similar conditions are more likely than average to develop scoliosis, though the causes of most cases of childhood or adolescent scoliosis remain unknown.
- Kyphosis: Like scoliosis, kyphosis is a curvature of the spine. However, kyphosis affects the top of the back and causes it to appear more rounded than typical. There is some amount of curvature to everyone’s spine but more than 45 degrees is considered abnormal. Kyphosis often does not cause symptoms other than a curved or hunched back, but in some cases, it results in back pain, stiffness, and other issues. Eventually, the condition can lead to trouble eating and even breathing issues.
- Spondylolisthesis: This spinal condition results in lower back pain and is caused by vertebrae that have slipped out of place. Nonsurgical methods can often treat symptoms but severe cases do require surgery.
Whether you’re experiencing every day back pain or have been diagnosed with a more complex spine condition, trust your care to a leading neurosurgeon at The NeuroMedical Center.
NMC's Spine Program Performs More Brain and Spine Surgeries Than Any Other Physical Group in Louisiana
It is essential that you do not take your choice in neurosurgeons lightly. When you choose The NeuroMedical Center, you have access to:
The NeuroMedical Center is the birthplace of Baton Rouge neurosurgery, first launching over 40 years ago in 1978. Today, our neurosurgeons make up one of the largest neurosurgical practices in the United States and perform more brain and spine surgeries than any other physician group in Louisiana.
Neurosurgeons at The NeuroMedical Center perform advanced brain and spine surgeries and work with other specialists to ensure the best results possible.
Few Neurosurgeons in the Country Have the Training to Perform the Life-Changing Brain Surgeries Our Team is Equipped to Handle
Our specialists are some of the only neurosurgeons in the nation with the advanced training and experience to perform life-changing deep brain stimulation (DBS) surgery for movement disorders including Parkinson’s disease and essential tremor (ET), as well as cutting-edge minimally invasive laser and robotic-assisted spinal surgery.
The NeuroMedical Center offers one of the region’s top programs in cerebrovascular and endovascular neurosurgery, one of the most rapidly advancing fields of medicine.
Meet The NeuroMedical Center's Neurosurgery Department
Ten neurosurgeons comprise the largest neurosurgical group in Louisiana. Our board-certified neurosurgeons undergo extensive fellowship training in their respective specialized fields such as minimally invasive and complex spinal surgery, skull base surgery, and endovascular neurosurgery, and work with an interdisciplinary team of neurological specialists to provide the best treatment approach and plan of care for each patient.
Kim Bellon, FNP
Shayne Brizzard, PA-C
Sarah Brooks, PA-C
Valarie Comeau, PA-C
Tamra Todd, PA-C
Darren Couvillion, PA-C
Therese Kimball, PA-C
Sandra DeFelice, PA-C Neurosurgery
Kristen Dubois, NP
Hanna Gill, PA-C
Daniel Long, PA-C
Taylor Matherne, APRN, NP-C
Sarah O’Neil, PA-C
Alexandra Rau, PA-C
Charley Roberson, APRN, FNP
Lisa Schavrien, PA-C
We Treat a Wide Range of Neurosurgical Conditions
The NeuroMedical Center’s Department of Neurology offers expert diagnosis and treatment (surgical & non-surgical) for a variety of neurological symptoms, traumatic injury, and chronic conditions.
Brain Conditions Treated
- Brain tumor
- Pituitary tumors (adenomas)
- Acoustic neuroma
- Metastasis to the brain and spine
- Chiari Malformation
- Skull Base Disorders
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Spine and Peripheral Nerve Conditions Treated
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Herniated Discs
- Degenerative Discs
- Bulging Discs
- Spinal Cord Injury/Trauma
- Carpal Tunnel
- Spina Bifida
- Spinal Infections
- Spinal Stenosis
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Ulnar Neuropathy
- Chairi Malformation
- Compressive Peripheral Neuropathies
- Lumbar Radiculopathy
- Pinched Nerves
Choose The NeuroMedical Center and Gain Access to an Entire Neurosurgery Team
Conditions that require neurosurgery may need the expertise of more than one specialty. When you are a patient of The NeuroMedical Center, you have access to an entire team of neurological experts who work as one to provide you with the very best treatment plan possible.
Complex neurosurgical cases are reviewed in bi-weekly neuroconferences, meaning multiple medical professionals evaluate your condition before surgery. If we believe your condition doesn’t require surgery, we’ll recommend another plan. Our team makes world-class neurosurgical care easy to access with several neurosurgery clinics located throughout South Louisiana.
The sooner you identify a neurological condition and start treatment, the better your chances are of limiting the complications or resolving the issue completely. Ask your physician about referring you to a neurological specialist at The NeuroMedical Center or request an appointment today!