Expert Neuropsychology & Clinical Psychology in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The NeuroMedical Center’s Neuropsychology department is comprised of licensed neuropsychologists, clinical psychologists, and medical psychologists who specialize in the testing, evaluation, and treatment of patients with a wide variety of neurological and psychological conditions. Through standardized assessment, our psychologists and staff provide expert insight to better understand the strengths and weaknesses of our patients’ psychological health. Our psychologists commonly see patients with a variety of known or suspected neurological conditions including traumatic brain injury (TBI), brain tumors, dementia, ADHD, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, movement disorders, and sleep disorders.
What is a neuropsychological evaluation?
If you’re in the process of seeking a neuropsychological evaluation for the first time, you likely have many questions about the process and everything it entails. A neuropsychological evaluation is a comprehensive assessment of your cognitive, emotional, and behavioral functioning, using a set of standardized tests and procedures. Numerous mental functions are evaluated including:
- Attention & Concentration
- Learning & Memory
- Language Skills
- Academic Skills
- Sensory Perception & Motor Skills
- Emotions, Behavior, and Personality
When is a neuropsychological evaluation needed?
A neuropsychological evaluation may be recommended by your doctor for any situation in which the functioning of your brain is relevant, such as in the case of:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Attention/Learning Problems
- Brain Tumors
- Memory Issues
- Seizure Disorders
- Chemical Exposure/Substance Abuse
- Sleep Disorders
What is the neuropsychological evaluation like?
Each neuropsychological exam performed at The NeuroMedical Center is tailored your individual needs. To understand an a patient’s unique cognitive strengths and weaknesses, our clinicians conduct an initial diagnostic interview and mental status exam. These tests are conducted one-on-one in a private room with a specialty-trained neuropsychological testers. Most tests are in paper-and-pencil format and can take 3-5 hours to complete.
How will the results from my neuropsychological evaluation used?
A referral from your healthcare provider to The NeuroMedical Center’s Neuropsychology department may help your doctor confirm or clarify a diagnosis, or to rule out the possibility of certain conditions. The results from your neuropsychological evaluation may be used to understand your situation in a number of ways:
- A stroke can affect behavior, thinking, memory, and other brain functions in obvious or subtle ways. Your psychologist can perform an evaluation to help determine the degree of stroke impairment.
- Parkinson’s disease, a progressive disorder, can cause several neurological problems. A neuropsychologist’s examination can provide a baseline to help them determine disease progression and severity of impairment. Neuropsychological examinations can be particularly helpful when a patient is being considered for deep brain stimulation (DBS) surgery.
- Alzheimer’s disease and other types of dementia can interfere with memory, personality, and cognitive abilities. A neuropsychologist can perform an exam to help identify it in its early stage.
- Epilepsy and seizure disorders can affect cognitive and psychological functioning. A neuropsychological evaluation can assist with epilepsy treatment by identifying areas of the brain that have been impacted by seizure activity.
- Traumatic brain injuries can cause a wide variety of symptoms. A neuropsychologist can help determine how an injury affects functions like reasoning or problem-solving skills.
- A neuropsychological evaluation can also guide referral to other specialists, such as neurologists, speech and language pathologists, and sleep study professionals.
Following evaluation, your psychologist at The NeuroMedical Center will work in conjunction with your referring physician to establish an appropriate treatment regimen. Treatment may involve primary counseling or medication management, or some combination of the two.
Meet Our Psychologists
Our Neuropsychology Department offers a seasoned team of experts with exceptional experience and compassion in caring for people with neurologic diseases and disorders. They take the time to meet with patients one-on-one to understand their symptoms, as well as learn how the disorder is affecting their lives and the lives of their families..
The NeuroMedical Center’s Neuropsychology team can help you and your referring physician best understand a cognitive, behavioral, or neurological condition. A neuropsychological evaluation will help plan effective treatment and set appropriate goals. Talk to your physician about scheduling an appointment with one of our specialists or request an appointment today!
Request an Appointment at The NeuroMedical Center
Online appointment requests from NEW patients are handled Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m-5:00 p.m. Please fill out the form below, and one of our Scheduling specialists will reach out to you within one business day. You can also request an appointment by calling The NeuroMedical Center Clinic Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at (225) 768-2050.