An electroencephalogram (EEG) is a diagnostic exam performed in The NeuroMedical Center Clinic’s Neurodiagnostic Lab on the 4th floor that measures and records the electrical activity of the neurons in your brain. It is most commonly used to diagnose disorders of the brain including epilepsy.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
Once arriving for your EEG, you will be asked to lie down on an exam table. Once comfortable, the technician will gently place electrodes to your scalp with a special adhesive that can be washed out following your test. The electrodes will be connected to a wire that is routed to a computer. During your exam, you will be fully awake as the computer painlessly analyzes the electrical activity occurring in your brain.
- Standard EEGs: The technician may instruct you to breathe slowly or quickly, and may use visual stimuli such as flashing lights, while recording your brain’s activity. This test takes 1 hour to complete.
- Ambulatory EEGs: The electrodes secured to your scalp are attached to wires connected to a portable recorder. You will be asked to resume normal activities for 24 hours. You will wear the device for 24 hours and return to have it removed.
BEFORE YOUR EXAM:
- Tell your sonographer all the medications you are taking.
- Refrain from consuming caffeine or alcohol.
- Shower or bathe, but DO NOT use hair conditioners, sprays, or gels in your hair. Your scalp will need to be accessed for this test. All sewn-in wigs, hair pieces, and extensions must be removed prior to your test.
- Get a good night’s rest.
If you are currently taking seizure medications, please arrange a driver to transport you to and from the EEG test.
AFTER YOUR EXAM:
The electrodes will be removed from your head, and you will be free to resume your normal routine. Please follow your provider’s instructions on when to resume taking medications. The adhesive used to attach the electrodes to your scalp can be washed out with normal shampoo. The physician who ordered your EEG will interpret the findings of your test. A full report may take 2-3 days.